First Aid – What is required?
You, as an employer, are best placed to understand the exact nature of your workplace and decide what you need to provide, if you are unsure, the Mediforce Group can assist you with what provision you should take with regards to your first aid requirements.
First aid provision must be “adequate and appropriate in the circumstances”. This means that you must provide sufficient first aid equipment (First Aid Kits), facilities and personnel at all times.
In order to decide what provision you need to make, you should undertake a first aid needs assessment. This assessment should consider the circumstances of your workplace, workforce and the hazards and risks that may be present. The findings will then help you decide what first aid arrangements you will need to put in place.
In assessing your first aid needs, you should consider
- The nature of the work you do
- Workplace hazards and risks (including specific hazards requiring special arrangements)
- The nature and size of your workplace
- The work patterns of your staff
- Holiday and other absences of those who will be first aiders and appointed persons
- Your organisations history of accidents
You may also want to consider
- The needs of travelling, remote and lone workers
- The distribution of your workplace
- The remoteness of any of your sites from emergency medical services
- Whether your employees work on shared or multi-occupancy sites
- First aid provision for non-employees (e.g. members of the public)
What an employer needs to do
As an employer, there are a number of options open to you when selecting a training provider. You should select the most appropriate for your requirements.
Depending on your choice, you will need to undertake varying levels of due diligence (reasonable enquiry or investigation) into how a provider will deliver the training you require.
The Mediforce Group cannot advise you on the quality of other first aid training providers, or the service they provide. Similarly, we cannot advise you on the standard of Quality Assurance systems that the training provider may have in place.
The Mediforce Group will demonstrate the following
- The trainers are qualified to and above the training provided
- Trainers are experienced in the areas they teach
- Monitoring and Quality Assurance systems are in place
- Company and trainers are audited twice a year
- Supported by a Nationally Recognised First Aid training provider
- Trainers are required to attend annual workshops
The standards of teaching are adhered to with regards to first aid practice.